◦ London Hearts are helping to fund Public Access Defibrillators (PADs) in communities all over the country. When someone has a cardiac arrest, timely intervention is the key to survival. By making more defibrillators available, and by training more people to use them, the better the chance of survival for a cardiac arrest victim.
◦ PADs are defibrillators placed in public places and accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week. The defibrillators are kept in an external cabinet, so when someone calls 999 in an emergency, the call handler can direct you to where the nearest defibrillator is. While an ambulance is on the way to the scene, bystanders can commence CPR and defibrillation before paramedics arrive.
◦ You should assign someone to routinely check your PAD to make sure it is always rescue ready. We are happy to offer advice and support with any of your defibrillator needs.
London Hearts can help by providing grants of up to £500 to communities who are fundraising for a public access defibrillator in their area.
The community is responsible for the fitting, upkeep and ongoing maintenance of the equipment along with running costs, which is around £2 - £3 per year for electricity.
We offer grants based on the following criterion:
- Health needs of the community
- Proximity to other defibrillators