◦ London Hearts are helping to fund Public Access Defibrillators (PADs) in communities all over the country. When someone has a cardiac arrest, timely intervention is the key to survival. By making more defibrillators available, and by training more people to use them, the better the chance of survival for a cardiac arrest victim.
◦ PADs are defibrillators placed in public places and accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The defibrillators are kept in an external cabinet, so when someone calls 999 in an emergency, the call handler can direct you to where the nearest defibrillator is. While an ambulance is on the way to the scene, bystanders can commence CPR and defibrillation before paramedics arrive.
◦ You should assign someone to routinely check your PAD to make sure it is always rescue ready. We are happy to offer advice and support with any of your defibrillator needs.
London Hearts can help by providing a minimum grant of £200 to communities who are fundraising for a public access defibrillator in their area. So far we have helped sports clubs, parish councils, nonprofits and individuals who are fundraising for a defibrillator obtain funding towards the cost of a defibrillator and cabinet, making this lifesaving piece of kit more affordable.
The community is responsible for the fitting, upkeep and ongoing maintenance of the equipment along with running costs, which is around £2 - £3 per year for electricity.
We offer grants based on the following criterion:
◦ Health needs of the community
◦ Proximity to other defibrillators
Apply for a London Hearts Grant
Whether you are a community, organisation, school, if you would like to apply for a grant for a community public access defibrillator, please drop us an email. Please provide as much information as possible including:
◦ Confirmation that you are or will be fundraising for a defibrillator
◦ Details of where the PAD would be sited, including an estimate of footfall
◦ Who will be responsible for the PAD
If your application is successful, your group will be asked to make the donation of your funds raised to London Hearts. On receipt of these funds, we will order your equipment and it will be issued to you as soon as possible. Please note your community group or organisation is responsible for arranging the installation of the cabinet and any costs involved. London Hearts will follow up by ensuring the equipment, and will provide free training in how to use the defibrillator and perform CPR. We may also arrange press/media coverage to publicise the installation of this lifesaving equipment in your community.